Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Another 400

mar 26-400,total 82,821
weight 202, bf%22
calories left to burn 45683

The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
William James
I watched the first episode of Paul McKenna's new series on TLC
He has four simple rules (remember I have just seen one episode). They are:

When you are hungry, EAT.
Eat what you want, not what you think you should.
Eat CONSCIOUSLY and enjoy every mouthful.
When you think you are full, STOP eating.

I heard/saw this and thought well this is so simple it is brilliant -makes sense to me. But something just seems too simple about the whole strategy -seems a little like slick packaging and marketing more than fitness -diet advice. Although he would say it is not a diet. I looked at his UK based website(s). Seems pretty sound and common sensical-however I did some scrolling-I believe they call it "lurking" on the community boards and although his students-followers -whatever seem pretty convinced-it doesn't look like a lot of them report losing a lot of weight. Seems 20 pounds is a good number on the board. I found a website/author who seems to have the same take on Mr McKenna. Here is the first paragraph or so of the article-the link is below so you can read the rest if you want:
Something about Paul McKenna smacks of charlatan to me. I don’t know what it is, but he doesn’t seem like someone I want to trust. He has a new show on TLC and here are some highlights from the first episode.The thing that bothers me is how much this show feels like an infomercial. The clapping at the “appropriate” times and the weighing of the studio audience really feel like parlor tricks to me. The before and after pictures and the pants from a previous life are all the same things I’ve seen before.

http://www.starling-fitness.com/
Now I am suspicious -but his theories seem pretty straight forward. I will reserve judgement and I am sure if I am around when the second episode airs-I'm sure I'll give it a watch. Overall the presentation seems a little too "quick fix " to me. However that perspective should be taken with a grain of salt -anything approach that doesn't involve going to bed a little hungry and doing hundreds of push ups or chin ups is starting to seem a little "soft"-not quite hard core enough. Okay clearly I am becoming a little obsessed.

Push up numbers have been good this month. This year daily average so far is 251 push ups/chins a day-as opposed to about 160 per day last year.

No comments: