Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Push ups as Cardio

Dec27-265, Dec 28-200 Dec 29-440

total push ups/chins 378,390

Now that I am doing this Abs by April program, I am getting a few more push ups and chins done. It kind of makes you want to post a little more frequently now that I have a few push ups to report. I bought myself a Polar FT7 today. Just wanted a heart rate monitor that would tell me how many calories I was burning. I wasn't sure if the calorie burn  figures on my myfitness app were all that accurate, so I felt like having a little more accuracy would help with  the program. I did a 30 minute workout of sets of 10 reps of push ups. After each set I would rest no more than 30 seconds between sets. If you use the old Heart Rate formula where you substract your age from 220- I likely want to be in between 121 bpm and 155 bpm which is 70 to 90 percent of maximal heart rate. Giving myself only 30 seconds of rest I was easily within this range the whole half hour. This allowed me to get more than 400 push ups done but also get a really good workout in with a good calorie burn. Most of the time I was around 80 percent of mhr.  I might try the same kind of workout with chin ups tomorrow. Maybe sets of 3 with 30 seconds of rest in between sets.

No comments: