Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 8, 2012

How many calories does a push up really burn?

Jan7-150

Total push ups/chin 379,470

Well I was a little curious after trying to look for an actual number of calories burned per push up on the Internet. So I strapped on the polar heart rate monitor and did 150 pushups. I did 15 sets of ten push ups resting 30 seconds after each set. This took me a little less than 11 minutes. The verdict - 96 calories in 11 minutes. The myfitnesspal would have told me that I had burned about 110 calories in this time. The rate I read off of wikianswers would have been off even more instead of burning 2.1 calories per push up. I was burning about 0.64 calories per push up. So at 3500 calories in a pound of fat I would need to do almost 5500 push ups to burn off a pound of fat. Well I better hit the dirt.

No comments: